Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My dad has cancer.

There's no need to sugar coat it or beat around the bush.

He has cancer.

My sister and I were with him when he got his test results back and, even though we all knew that's what the doctor would say, it still knocked the wind out of me when he said "positive for prostate cancer."

Monday seemed like 5 days crammed into one. No one wants to discuss wills and funeral plans before they've even had a bowl of cereal, but that's how my day started out.

I know prostate cancer is extremely treatable, but it still scares the hell out of me that I could lose my Dad. What gets me the most (and this may sound ridiculous) is that he may not be around to walk me down the isle. Call me selfish, but when I start thinking about that is when the heaviest tears start coming down.

We don't know how advance the cancer is, but he did a bone yesterday and will get the results on Friday. The waiting is what's killing me. We know it's cancer and now we want to get it taken care of, but we can't yet. It's maddening!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Andrea.
I'm at a loss of words at what to say to you right now. Im so sorry. Your family will be in my thoughts are prayers. Good luck with everything.
Love.
Amanda

The Harrison's said...

I'm so sorry Andrea, you are one of my best friends and I love you soo much! :) Call me/Text me/Email me ANYTIME seriously if you need to talk/cry/scream, whatever... you guys are in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Trista

Jennifer Slaugh said...

I am so sorry to hear that Annie! Brock's grandfather had prostate caner and the positive side of it is that it is very treatable and they usually die from something else before they die of prostate cancer. We will be praying for you and yourfamily. Love ya!

♥AnDrEaSeN FaMiLy♥ said...

im so so sorry annie. and now im crying lol. brakes my heart to think about your dad having that! im here for you!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Oh hon, I'm so sorry to hear this! You will be in my prayers.

Lisa Best said...

So sorry to hear this Andrea! My prayers are with you!