Monday, March 16, 2009

Victim Blaming

I never knew much about domestic violence or rape before I started my job. Now I feel like that's all I know and I see it everywhere. It can get really annoying when someone says something offensive about women/DV and I automatically go into advocate/educator mode.

Obviously I never wanted a woman to get beat, but when I heard about Chris Brown hitting Rihanna I was a little excited because FINALLY some attention would be paid to this issue and people could learn more about this epidemic.

THEN I check my e-mail this morning. There was a survey done in Boston and it says almost HALF of teens surveyed said they thought it was Rihanna's fault she was beat!! And to top that off, a "significant" number said that SHE was ruining HIS career!!

Are you kidding me?!?! When has a woman ever ASKED to be abused?! Oh, that's right, NEVER!!! I am seriously so irritated by people always blaming the victim. I know it's a defense mechanism so people can feel safe and feel like it can never happen to them, but OPEN YOUR EYES!! IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.


Look at this picture. Look at the bruises. The swelling. The split lip. She didn't deserve this. No woman or man deserves this.

A lot of media sites are criticizing her for going back to him. Did you know on average a battered woman will leave and come back to her abuser 7 times before she leaves for good? 7 TIMES!! The media obviously isn't paying much attention to the cycle of abuse or the dynamics of domestic violence because if they were they wouldn't say a word about this. It frustrates people because they don't understand how a person can keep going back to their abuser. Let me tell you, it's a lot easier said than done.

There's so much emotional abuse that comes into play, it's hard to explain. The abuser break you down, make you feel worthless, and make you feel like you deserve the abuse you're getting. Eventually you'll feel like you did this to yourself and have no right to leave. That's why people stay.

Why aren't we pointing the finger at Chris Brown and saying, "Why did you do this to a woman you claim to love? What made you think you could do this? What's wrong with YOU!?"

I could seriously go on and on about this for hours, but I'm going to stop. I just want to make sure I get one point across.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY, 100% NEVER THE VICTIM'S FAULT THEY WERE ABUSED!!
I don't care what anyone says, no one deserves to be hurt or abused.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah it made me sick to. i was on a website that said she asked for it or provocked him to do it. so i left a little comment that said you are all stupid. no one wants to be abused especially by a loved one. shame on anyone saying they asked for it!! i hate chris brown. hes only 19 and doing this? im not seeing that changing. i hate abuse it gets me all worked up!!

Lisa Best said...

Agreed Andrea! Abuse is never acceptable, no matter what!

Glad I found you on here :)