Monday, January 9, 2012

"So how old is your baby?"

I think it's some sort of requirement when you leave home and move out the first time that you gain a good 10 or 15 pounds. And then, following every move after that, you are alloted an additional 5 pounds.

I've moved around A LOT since graduation, and all the nights I was too tired to cook or exercise caught up with me. I decided I was done with the weight thing since last year I started weight watchers and lost around 12 pounds. I was super proud of myself, finally felt good about wearing clothes again, I didn't feel awful being seen in a bathing suit.

Then I met Shaun.

And I realize that sounds horrible, but it was actually a great thing. I had finally found a guy I felt completely comfortable around and so when I gained back a few pounds, I didn't feel a strong urge to race back to the gym. And with our crazy work schedules, I decided it was more important to sit around the house, watching the Food Network with him then go to the gym.

This time last year I was around 139. This year...add about 15 pounds :(  And I realize that I'm just a few pounds over my 'recommended body weight' and while I really have nothing big to bitch about, one thing, well actually 2 things, have caused a wake up call.

On two seperate occassions within a week of the other, I was asked if I was pregnant.

That is probably the worst thing you can say to a girl who isn't pregnant.

Now, the people that asked me this weren't being mean or hurtful. This first lady I see at hearings a lot but never really have had a full blown conversation with her. We were sitting around waiting for the hearing to start, and she made the comment about how I didn't look pregnant anymore and was wondering how old my baby was.

Strike one to the ego.

I don't know what's worse. Being asked if you're pregnant, or having to tell them that in fact, no, you're not pregnant. Just fat.

Fast forward a few days. My fiance and I were eating breakfast at Betty's and I saw an old teacher from jr. high. I was excited to talk to her and after giving her a hug the first thing she says is. "I can see you're doing great. You're married and expecting a baby...."

Strike two to the ego.

Apparently any weight I gain goes straight to my lower belly...making me look like I'm about 4 months pregnant.

So between these two incidents, and after reading one of my friend's amazing blog, I am determined to lose this extra weight. I refuse to be one of those women who look back on their wedding day pictures and complain about how fat and ugly they look. Not. Gonna. Happen. And I also know that it will better for my health and all that stuff. But honestly, you want a woman to lose weight, tell her she has 8 months until her wedding day.

Anyways, wish me luck!

2 comments:

Jennifer Slaugh said...

Geesh! And I thought my kids were bad. I have been trying to teach Dalton not to call people fat and we have talked about manners and such. Then the other day he said "Mom I am not trying to be rude and I am not calling you fat but, are you having another baby cause your belly is kinda big. You will look GREAT on your wedding day! By the way I love the colors you have chosen!

The Harrison's said...

Good for you! I wish I would have realized to keep up on it, I know this sounds stupid, but you seriously wake up and ask yourself how it happened (because it literally feels like it happens over night, I didn't even see myself in the in-between) so good job!!